Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Friday, March 18, 2011

Root Gratin

During my week of side dishes, I had root gratin planned on the menu. Then, a horrible case of stomach flu hit me. I barely made anything that well. I had all of the ingredients that I bought during my weekly shopping trip and didn't want to risk them going bad.


I adapted the recipe slightly for the cheese that I already have on hand. I was worried about the taste of the parsnips, sweet potato, and potato all together. The flavors all blended, married, and became very happy together with a house, a dog, a baby, and tons of bills to pay. 


Ingredients
1 pound parsnips, peeled
1 pound sweet potato, peeled
1 pound russet potatoes, peeled
1 cup milk
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon minced garlic

6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack placed in the middle position. 

Slice vegetables into 1/4 inch thick slices. In a large bowl, toss vegetables with milk, broth, garlic, cheese, salt, and pepper. 

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Vegetables should be fork tender. When tender, remove foil and turn broiler on high. Broil gratin until top is golden, three to four minutes. Let cool ten minutes before serving. 
 


Source: Guy Fieri, Food Network







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio