Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chicken Cacciatore



Yesterday was my second day of sticking to a meal plan. Chicken was on the menu in the form of chicken cacciatore. Now, because my picky eaters do not like mushroom, I sliced the mushroom and added it at the end, just before serving. This was absolutely delicious. The chicken was tender, and the sauce was absolutely perfect. I have so very many cookbooks that I am trying to only pull one recipe at a time and rotate my books. It will take me a VERY long time to get through it all, so I hope you're all buckled in for a long ride! This recipe came from Better Homes and Gardens 15th edition Cookbook. I am the proud owner of not one, but two of these books. I find it very funny that even though Dan and my sister went shopping together for my Christmas presents, they ended up getting me the same exact gift. Keeper of a recipe.

Ooh..and an update on the cheese danish: Survey says keeper, but halve the amount of lemon zest that is added to the filling. The lemon, I was told, is a bit overpowering. He's already having trouble thinking of what next week's breakfast choice will be.


Chicken Cacciatore (Cooking with Flavor)

Ingredients
½ teaspoon salt
3/8 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (approximately 1 cup)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cans diced tomatoes, with juices
1 can tomato paste
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 ½ teaspoons Italian Seasoning

Directions
1.) Coat chicken evenly with salt and pepper.
2.) Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from skillet.
3.) Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add onion and garlic (add the mushrooms during this step as well if you wish, I added later). Cook and stir five minutes on medium heat or until vegetables are tender.
4.) Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, and Italian seasoning. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. Return chicken to skillet. Add mushrooms and reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
5.) Serve over pasta or rice, if desired.

Source: Better Homes and Gardens 15th edition cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio