Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Friday, June 1, 2012

Strawberry Ice Cream



School is done. Closed. I've said my goodbyes to the students that I have come to know. It broke my heart. It is hard to learn the ins and outs of students - and even harder to say goodbye. I hope that I have reached students and encouraged them to achieve and influenced their lives...if even a small amount, I have succeeded. Now, it is time to focus on the task at hand - summer with my little man. I'm so excited to be able to have this time to take a break and spend some time with DJ - he's growing up faster than I can believe. One of the things I look forward to most? Getting him in the kitchen. 


My neighbor's strawberry plant is producing like crazy. The other night, I pulled off 4 pints of berries. What to make with all those berries? Ice cream, of course!  I was finally able to pull out the most underutilized piece of kitchen equipment during the winter months - my ice cream maker. If you've never tried homemade ice cream, you are missing out. Well - the only thing that you're missing is the taste of cardboard from the box and ingredients that you can't pronounce. 


I don't like strawberry ice cream normally, but I attacked this stuff right out of the maker. I may have scraped the sides until there was nothing left. It is absolutely delicious with a fabulous, fresh strawberry flavor with the added creaminess from the whole milk and whipping cream. Happy weekend! 



Ingredients
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar, divided
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions
Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl, set aside in fridge for 1 hour.


In large mixing bowl beat eggs until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. gradually add 3/4 cups sugar, mixing well. Stir in milk and vanilla and mix well. Add strawberries with juice and mix well. gently stir in whipping cream just until combined.


Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. Place in airtight container and allow to hard freeze before serving. 



Source: Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio