Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Monday, April 23, 2012

Bananas Foster French Toast



When it comes to breakfast, I am a minimalist. A banana, some coffee, and I'm off for the day. I can hear my subconscious telling me with a loving, motherly roll of the eyes that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Yes, I know - I get it. I wish I could make myself want to sit down and eat well, but it's just not happening. 


This breakfast made me wish that I liked the meal enough to take the time and sit down. Or that I was even hungry. Or that I could swim in the sauce. If you're a breakfast person - or have little ones that love breakfast - this is a wonderful recipe for those days when you can take a little more time or as a special treat for a tough wake up like Monday morning! 



Ingredients
Banana sauce
4 ounces (1 stick unsalted butter)
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
French toast
4 bananas, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
3 large whole eggs
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 slices (3/4-inch thick) brioche or challah bread
3 tablespoons (about) unsalted butter
Whipped cream (optional)


Directions
Make the banana sauce: Melt the butter in a large stainless-steel skillet with a lid over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and whisk until it melts into the butter. Add the water and whisk until smooth. Cover and set aside while you prepare the French toast.


Prepare the French toast: Whisk the whole eggs and egg yolks in a large bowel to blend. Gradually whisk in the milk, cream and vanilla. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, turning to coat and soak until they are completely moistened with the custard.


Heat a heavy, large griddle pan over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter on the griddle. Working in batches, transfer the soaked bread to the pan with a slotted spatula and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Add more butter as needed for each batch.


To serve, add the banana slices to the sauce and cook until the bananas are almost tender, tossing gently, about 3 minutes. Transfer the French toast to plates. Top each with the banana sauce and whipped cream, if desired.



Source: Steamy Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio