Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chicken and Rice Soup



Thanksgiving this year was put on hold thanks to sickness. So instead of a turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce and all the parts of Thanksgiving that have me drooling on my keyboard just thinking about (think MoistMaker...mmm)-- chicken and rice soup was the meal of the weekend. 


I love soup, but I am picky. There must be more actual food than broth. And if it's chicken noodle - I add ketchup. Yes, I add ketchup to my chicken soup, and macaroni and cheese...don't judge me. 

Ingredients
1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes5 cups chicken broth8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced (2 cup)3/4 cup sliced celery1/2 cup sliced carrots1/2 cup raw rice, converted1/4 cup chopped onions1 cup frozen or canned mixed vegetables1/2 tsp. ground sage1/4 tsp. pepper

Instructions
In slow cooker, combine chicken, broth, vegetables, rice, and seasonings.

Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours, or cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. Check after the shorter cooking time to make sure the rice isn't becoming too mushy.

Alternatively, you could omit the raw rice and add cooked rice near the end of cooking time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio