Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Monday, July 25, 2011

Watermelon Lemonade

DJ playing...yes, those are my flip flops.
 We all have our ways of cooling off. Duke pants constantly. DJ prefers the slip and slide (that was 49 cents at Target.) Me, I prefer something like this...

When planting our garden, we decided to plant watermelon. More for fun than anything. Our neighbor is 85 years old and knows everything about...well, everything. He stays that I am not even going to get a melon to bud because we don't have the right soil for it. If we get some produce out of it, then it's a win win. Will I be upset if we get nothing? Nope. 

I happened to have a watermelon that was brought back for us from South Carolina. I cut some of it, but there was too much. I know, I could have put it in more than one storage container, but I'd rather flex my muscles in the kitchen a little and find a recipe. Low and behold, I came across Peace, Love, and French Fries' recipe for watermelon lemonade. Bingo. Whether it be a home grown, store bought, or farm stand watermelon - this lemonade is certainly delicious. 
 
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 cups cubed watermelon
1 cup lemon juice (5-6 lemons)
32 oz cold water
lemon slices for garnish

Directions
To make simple syrup, combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Heat until sugar is dissolved, approximately 5 minutes.  Set aside to cool.

Puree watermelon in a blender, then pour through a strainer to remove pulp.  Transfer to pitcher. 

Juice lemons through a strainer to avoid getting any seeds into your lemonade.  Transfer to pitcher. 

When simple syrup has cooled, add to pitcher.  Add remaining water and stir to combine. Chill until ready to drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio