Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Elly's World Famous Black Beans

"Beans, beans the magical fruit..." This week I have decided to focus my attention on expanding the side dishes that we have in our lives and our tummies. With some wonderful sales on produce, I am so very excited for all of the side dishes that I have planned for the week. Admittedly, I rarely put thought into the sides and focus my efforts on the main dish. With meals that involve larger cuts of meat that can hang out in a crock pot all day, I think that it is the perfect time to focus on our side repertoire. 


After a long day at work, I came home to a sick husband and child. I wanted something quick and simple, tacos. I had a can of black beans in my pantry and knew exactly what to do with them - Elly's World Famous Black Beans. I came upon Elly's website when I was lured by the chicken gyros that were in another blog. Mmm...chicken gyros. I have read a lot about the black beans and thought I'd take the perfect opportunity to make them. 


I am psyched for my leftover beef and black bean burritos for lunch today. I am even more excited for the fact that my new camera battery came in yesterday. After letting it load, I am excited to be able to take pictures of food again and learn more about my camera. 



Ingredients
2 tsp. canola oil 
1/4 cup diced onion 
1 fat clove garlic, minced 
1 Tbsp. tomato paste 
1 bay leaf 
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed 
1/2 - 2/3 cup chicken broth 
1/4 tsp. chili powder 
3/4 tsp. cumin 
1/2 tsp. oregano 


Over a skillet on medium heat, add canola oil and onions. Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the garlic, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Stir until tomato paste cooks down, approximately one minute. 


Add the black beans to the pan, mashing half of them with a masher or spoon. Add chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Stir to combine. Allow to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until firm. 


Source: Elly Says Opa

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio