Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Homemade Christmas Ornament


I love my mom, really I do. When I was in grade school, she was in charge of the Santa Shop at the school. That meant that from the beginning of December, I had to see my mom's face during all of my lunch, gym, and periods where the teachers would hold off on the lesson to let someone shop because they brought in money. My classmates quickly realized that if timed and strategically planned with two people bringing in money each day, we would get out of at least one period a day. My husband might have been one of them. He loved my mom. He would always say hi to her and then I would have to hear about how that Danny boy was so nice and so cute. Mom, boys have cooties, buy a clue!
I remember my mom always working on homemade ornaments to sell at the Santa Shop. Now that I am a teacher in a fairly low income area, I like to carry some of those traditions I grew up with in my classroom. This year, I decided to make oatmeal ornaments, mostly because they dried quickly. I am very pleased with how these turned out and the students went absolutely crazy over them. Not edible in a yummy sense, but something that is still a wonderful tradition and keeper.


Oatmeal Clay
1 cup rolled oats

2/3 cup flour

1/2 cup water

1.) Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Add more flour if necessary for the dough to form a lump.

2.) Have the children knead the dough on a floured surface until it is smooth. You can add food coloring to the water before mixing the dough, or divide it into balls and add the coloring after the children mix and knead it.
3.) Your children's finished crafts can air dry overnight.

Note: Children can store the clay in the refrigerator in a ziplock bag for up to 3 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio