Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Apple Stuffed Chicken

When I read over this recipe while at my desk at work, I knew that I had to make this recipe. Something about it just called out to me. However, I was concerned about how the fruit would be received. After reading the reviews, I decided to adapt the recipe slightly by adding a tablespoon of brown sugar to both the stuffing and to the pan gravy. I didn't have any cornstarch, so I used a tablespoon of butter and flour to make a roux. It was absolutely delicious. I was hesitant to fess up about the stuffing, but of the four servings that it made, three of them ended up on Dan's plate and eaten. Winner, winner chicken dinner indeed. Definitely a (surprising) keeper! Feels good to start out with a win in my column.

Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup chopped apple
2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Italian-style dried bread crumbs
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup dry white wine (I subbed in chicken broth)
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions:
1.Combine apple, cheese, brown sugar, and bread crumbs. Set aside.
2. Flatten chicken breasts between sheets of waxed paper to 1/4 inch thickness. Divide apple mixture between chicken breasts, and roll up each breast. Secure with toothpicks.
3. Melt butter or margarine in a 7 inch skillet over medium heat. Brown stuffed chicken breasts. Add wine (I used chicken broth) and 1/4 cup water. Cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
4. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Combine 1 tablespoon butter and flour. Wisk for 5 minutes.
5. Add additional brown sugar and juices into pan. Cook and wisk until thickened. Pour gravy over chicken, and garnish with parsley. Serve.

Adapted from Behr, Allrecipes.com
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Stuffed-Chicken-Breast/Detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio