Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Friday, August 31, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce

In my menu planning this past week, I simple question was posed to me. "Why don't we ever just have spaghetti?" I was immediately reminded of a fantastic recipe for spaghetti sauce that I used to make all.the.time. As I became more interested in new techniques and ingredients, the simplicity of spaghetti was put on the back burner but never forgotten. I can not believe that I have not shared this recipe with you before now. I apologize for the profound effect that this spaghetti sauce will have on your life. 


This recipe makes a ton of sauce. Most times, I share the leftovers with our neighbors, loved ones, or find something else to use the sauce in. Stay tuned to see! The process to this sauce is as easy as they come. All ingredients can be found in the grocery store and leaves a delicious smell in the house as it simmers. The longer the sauce simmers, the better it gets. Grab your big pots and a wine glass, and enjoy this delicious sauce. 


I am so excited to share the fact that after a very disappointing and heart breaking summer, I have found a job. When I was 19, I worked in the infant room of a child care as a backup until summer camp started for the school-aged children and they found a replacement for the worker that quit. I remember crying leaving those sweet babies for the last time and swearing to myself that I would work with infants given the opportunity. Sure enough, I will be working full-time in an infant room of a center. The best part is that I will work four days a week, giving me time with DJ and devote time to finding new recipes that keep my family and wonderful readers happy and full. I am so incredibly excited to finally pursue my dream job.

Spaghetti Sauce
Source: Food.com

Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef (you could also do a mix of sausage and ground beef)
1 small onion, chopped
3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 6 ounce cans tomato paste
2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
2 cups water (for simmering, use less if eating immediately)
3 teaspoons basil
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if you like heat)
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 cup red wine (always cook with something you’d drink)
1 pound thin spaghetti
parmesan cheese, for sprinkling

Directions

In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and break into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink. Drain the fat from the meat. 

Add the onion and garlic to the meat, stirring until soft. 

Add the diced tomatoes, paste, and sauce to the beef mixture. Add water for simmering. 

Add basil, parsley flakes, brown sugar, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes and stir until combined and heat to a near boil.

Pour the wine in the sauce and a glass for yourself (while you're at it!) and simmer on low. You do not want the sauce to boil. Stir occasionally and do not allow to burn. 

Cook spaghetti to package directions and drain. Serve spaghetti with sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio