Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Eggplant Zucchini Bolognese


Sometimes, I think that I am just not meant to be in the kitchen. In a 20 minute time frame, I managed to slice my finger cutting the vegetables, drop a saute pan on my toe (with no shoes on, I might add), and burn the skin inbetween my pointer and middle finger knuckles for the 3rd time this week. I swear that there is going to be a permanent burn mark there. I swear it was like Wipe Out without the big balls. I blame it on the fact that I was trimming the hedges and my assistant was doing a poor job of holding the cord. 

The dinner was SO good that it flew off of everyone's plate. There were no leftovers. I love when that happens. So I decided to add a page to my blog of recipes that are in the Clean Plate Club



What is the Clean Plate Club? I'm so glad you asked! The phrase actually reminds me of my Dad and the motivator that he used to get the competitive side of me interested in dinner. Here at Tastetastic Voyage, the Clean Plate Club will be comprised of recipes that hold the status of fly off the plate, no left overs, and the plate licked clean.  

Eggplant Zucchini Bolognese, from PreventionRD via Taste of Home
Ingredients

1 lb pasta
1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb lean ground beef (90% lean)
28 oz tomato puree
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp brown sugar
8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

Combine eggplant, zucchini, squash, onion, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss together. Place on oiled baking sheet in a single layer and roast at 425 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes until fork tender.

In a pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta to al dente (6 to 8 minutes) and drain water.

In a skillet, cook the meat until no longer pink and drain. Add the tomato puree, Italian seasoning, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Add pasta and roasted vegetables. Top with sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. 

3 comments:

  1. Was the zucchini and eggplant from your garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it. My garden is exploding. I need to use up tons of tomatoes and stat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For real. My ornamental peppers are going nuts, and my jalapenos are finally starting to grow well. I can't wait to use my jalapenos for some of the dishes I want to make.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio