Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Monday, August 27, 2012

Cheeseburger Egg Rolls


Whenever I have take out Chinese, I love to indulge in a shrimp roll. I do this with extreme caution thanks to a shellfish allergy for DJ that causes him to blow up like a balloon. Always wanting to try something that I am eating, I have to be VERY careful to hide while enjoying my shrimp roll because he will inevitably try to grab it from my hands and eat it. This leads to my eating the shrimp roll while hiding in the kitchen or dining room and washing my hands.


I love that I'm raising a great eater who is not afraid to try new things. It is enjoyable that DJ loves to try new foods. I saw these for the last recipe swap and knew that I had to make them - stat. The taste of a delicious, juicy, cheesy cheeseburger all in a quick, portable, handheld roll. Some ketchup to dip-dip, and I know that I'm giving my little one a meal that he will enjoy and I don't have to hide. These little babies definitely pulled a magic disappearing act of their own, landing them in the Clean Plate Club


Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
adapted from Does Not Cook Well with Others and Tasty Treats By Tina

Ingredients
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½  onion, chopped
¾ lb ground beef
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Small dish of water
10 to 15 egg roll wrappers

Directions
Place a large skillet on medium-low heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil to skillet. Once hot, add onions and cook until tender, approximately 3 minutes.

Turn the burner up to medium-high, adding the ground beef to the onions in the skillet. Break meat into small pieces with a spoon and cook until fully brown. 

Drain fat from the skillet and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes to cool. Find something to occupy this time – laundry, cleaning, dishes, or trying to finish the book you’ve been reading for a month are all wonderful ideas.

Once cooled, stir in the Worcestershire and cheddar cheese until combined.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with a wire baking rack inside a sheet pan. This makes a convection oven which allows your rolls to cook on all sides and become brown, crispy, and beautiful.

Use a brush (or your finger if your brush was stolen by a 3 year old) to moisten the outside edges of the wrapper. Place approximately 1/3 cup of cheeseburger mixture on a diagonal in the middle, dry portion of the wrapper.

To wrap up, fold the dampened sides of the wrapper into the middle. Grab the bottom corner of the wrapper, bringing it up over the two sides. Roll until top corner is covered and the wrap is closed.

Place on wire rack and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until brown, crispy, and beautiful. Serve with your favorite condiments and dipping sauce.  

1 comment:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio