Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Homemade Iced Coffee



The budget crunch has started. The couponing has kicked back up into high gear and so has watching every cent and cutting corners. This is nothing new to me - but I can't say that I enjoy it. I can't lie - I kind of do. Having to watch expenses really makes you realize how incredibly capable you are of making things yourself at home for a cheaper price and even better than you're used to. 


I love Starbucks. Great coffee at not so great prices. I think back to the days of sitting in the courtyard with high school friends sipping our iced or frozen venti beverages (mine was always something with caramel) and talking about boys. I rarely go to Starbucks unless I have a gift card.

I am so happy to be able to have iced coffee. What a treat to be able to go to the refrigerator and make my own. I am in the process of playing around with syrups and will report back as I find all of the delicious possibilities. This process is so simple - give it a try. Pick up some coffee grinds, a large container for cold brewing,  a container for storage, a strainer, cheesecloth, and pick up a pretty reuseable container or two while you're at it. You deserve it with all of the money that you are going to save! 

Ingredients
1 pound Ground Coffee 
8 quarts Cold Water
Skim Milk, 2% Milk, Whole Milk
Sugar, Artificial Sweeteners, Syrups for sweetening to your taste

Directions
In a large container, mix ground coffee with water. Cover and allow to sit at room temperature eight hours or overnight.

Line a fine mesh strainer with cheesecloth and set over a pitcher or other container. Pour coffee/water mixture through the strainer, allowing all liquid to run through. Discard grounds.

Place coffee liquid in the fridge and allow to cool. Use as needed

To make iced coffee:Pack a glass full of ice cubes. Fill glass 2/3 full with coffee liquid. Add healthy splash of half-and-half. Add 2-3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (can use plain sugar instead) and stir to combine. Taste and adjust half-and-half and/or sweetened condensed milk as needed.

Source: Pioneer Woman, adapted from Imbibe Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio