Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Baked Zucchini Sticks



There is something about your house smelling like a pizzeria that makes you want to dive in to the wonderfully-smelling-want-to-eat-it-now type of delicious smell. In your haste, you shove it into your mouth without realizing several things: 1.) time to cool is needed, 2.) It just came out of a 425 degree oven and 3.) Your mouth will reject anything that is burning it. So there you are - wonderful smells wafting through your house and pure deliciousness on the floor (here...Duke!) 


I wanted something different than the normal starchy side because I'm trying to watch what I eat. I got on the scale the other day and was appalled at the number that glared back at me. Ok, so I haven't been eating right...or exercising...and I've been drinking Pepsi like it's going out of style, so I guess I've dug my own hole in a way. I've been given wonderful advice to cut back on carbs at night. These zucchini sticks were just the ticket - it cut out the place of a normal starchy potato or fries and tasted absolutely wonderful.

Ingredients
3 medium zucchini sliced into 3" x 1/2" sticks
1 large egg white
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
cooking spray
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt
fresh pepper


Directions
In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese and shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.


Dip zucchini sticks into eggs then into bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake at 425° for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dipping.



Source: slightly adapted from SkinnyTaste

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio