Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Homemade Hoagie Rolls



I am so tired of plain old sandwiches for lunch. If I was made of money or wasn't concerned with what I was eating, I'd definitely be buying a school lunch everyday. At three bucks a pop, that can add up really quick. I love preparing lunch at home. I was on a salad kick for awhile and now I'm on to hoagies. 


Instead of buying hoagie rolls, I prefer to make them myself. If you are afraid of yeast, this is the perfect recipe to give you some confidence. The directions are easy to follow and takes very little prep work. Most of the time is spent waiting for the dough to rise while catching up on your laundry, cleaning, or DVRed shows. 


I adapted the recipe slightly to make the hoagie rolls whole wheat. I also halved the recipe because there is no way that I needed over a dozen rolls. Enjoy! 



Directions
1 package dry active yeast  
1/8 cup sugar
1 cup water, blood warm
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 
cornmeal, for dusting
1 egg white
sesame seeds (optional)

Directions
Dissolve sugar in water and add yeast to proof. Rest one to two minutes. Melt butter and, along with the salt, stir into yeast mixture.

Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached (this dough should not be terribly stick to the touch, but should have plenty of "give" and not be too tough). Knead until well developed and all flour is hydrated. Your dough is finished when you can tear a small piece off, roll into a ball and stretch to form a nearly transparent "window" between your fingers without it tearing.

Cover and let stand until doubled in bulk, approximately 40 minutes.

Lightly dust a small amount of corn meal over well-greased pans, roll your dough into long, thin logs and place about 3 inches apart on the pans. Slash each loaf every inch and a half with a knife, brush with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired. Let double in size.

Bake in a 400°F oven until golden brown.

Source: Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio