Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Apple-Cheddar Salad with Walnuts


Yesterday was day one of taking salad for my lunch, watching portion sizes, and limiting myself to one can of Pepsi a day. So instead of my usual quickly heated in the microwave frozen meal and diving into my candy drawer in my desk mouth first, I had this salad. 

The apple and cheddar are a wonderful combination. I liked the walnuts but found myself eating them separately. This salad is simply dressed with a mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. This salad came together quickly and I was done within 10 minutes. I am proud to report - I found myself full and my candy drawer still in tact. 

Ingredients
1/4 cup(s) apple cider or apple juice
2 tablespoon(s) cider vinegar
1 teaspoon(s) honey
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1/8 teaspoon(s) coarsely ground black pepper
1 medium (10-ounce) head Boston lettuce, torn into pieces
1 pound(s) (2 to 3 medium) Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, or Empire apples, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 cup(s) walnuts, toasted
3 ounce(s) shaved extra-sharp Cheddar cheese

Directions
In large serving bowl, whisk together cider, vinegar, honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Add lettuce and apple slices to bowl and toss to coat. Arrange salad on 6 plates; top with walnuts and Cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio