Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Haluski


There are several things I love about summer. One of the top three is definitely the farm stand that goes up with all kind of yummy produce. I am a little skeptical of the plastic wrapped lettuce, but you can't beat the cherry cider or cabbage. Usually, summers involve spending at least one week in South Carolina. This year, Dan and I decided against making the 12+ hour trip in a car with a two year old. 

With the rest of the family on vacation, I was in charge of taking my grandmother grocery shopping or anywhere else that she wanted to go. It was nice to spend time with her. We used to always cook together - and haluski is one thing that we would always make. The recipe that I use is a slight adaptation from the method that my grandmother used. I find haluski tastier if it is pan fried. Now, I make myself a giant skillet and shamelessly eat it all with fresh cabbage.

Ingredients

4 cups wide egg noodles
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sliced sweet onions, about 1/8 inch thick
2 teaspoons brown sugar
6 cups cabbage, sliced thin
1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional, I excluded these)
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper

Directions

Cook noodles according to package directions, then drizzle with a bit of oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together and set aside. While noodles are cooking, melt butter in large deep skillet over medium-low heat.

Add onion, sprinkle with brown sugar and sauté, stirring occasionally for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened and just beginning to turn golden. Add cabbage to skillet, stirring well to incorporate with onion, and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in caraway seeds if using, then cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.  Turn heat back to medium, add cooked noodles, salt and pepper, and stir well until noodles are heated though.  Adjust seasoning to taste and serve hot.

Source:  adapted from Kelly M., Food.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio