Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Simple Cereal Bars

This week, I am on a mission. Anyone that knows me would tell you that I am an absolute food hoarder. My husband even made more shelves in our tiny little pantry so that I would have room for everything to be organized. Once I had everything organized into kitchen contraptions, boxes, cans, and large baking supplies, I had empty spaces. Something about those empty spaces made me feel anxious and I NEEDED to fill them. Well, what happens when you keep thinking your pantry needs filled? Your pantry gets overfilled and then some. This week I am attacking my pantry. All of my meals this week, and desserts too, will come from there. Let the Pantry Challenge begin...



DJ had his very first play date this past weekend. Even though we were meeting at the local mall and eating lunch, I knew that my little one would be hungry with all of that running around. After checking with the other mom, I knew that there were no allergies to worry about. In searching for something aside from veggies and dip or cheese and crackers, I happened upon this recipe. Then, I thought of all of the containers of oats that I have. When I was nursing, I ate oatmeal and gatorade twice a day. For awhile after I stopped, I still stockpiled oatmeal. A little more searching and I had everything needed to make this in my pantry - score! This recipe is quick, simple, and yummy. It is able to be adapted to use other fruit or jelly. I just chose grape because it is the favorite of the men in the house and I had plenty on hand. I think it is comparable to the various types of multigrain bars that are out there today. An added bonus - enough for breakfasts for the week. 
DJ says, "What you lookin' at Willis, get in the kitchen and start making these!"

Ingredients
2 c oats
2 c white flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt
1 c butter
1 c grape jelly

Directions
Preheat your oven to 350. Grease a 9x13" baking pan.

Combine oats, flour(s), brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, 2 forks, or use a food processor. The texture will be chunky and crumbly.

Take half of the mixture and press it into the bottom of the pan. Bake it for 15 minutes, until it's a bit brown and set. With about five minutes left on the bake time, take the cup of jelly, heat over medium, and stir until warmed through. Spread your jelly over top of this and then cover with remaining dough, press down firmly, and bake another 15 minutes!

1 comment:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio