Foodbuzz Banner

Find What You're Looking For

Friday, February 18, 2011

Homemade Tortillas



I take pride in making as many homemade things I can. Sure, you can easily go to the store and get a 99 cent pack of tortillas that were machine made and packaged. Call me a control freak, but I like knowing what I'm eating. I have already said how I tried one tutorial and it did not work at all. I had given up for awhile and continued buying the store brand. 


Then, I found this recipe. It was quick, simple, and tortillas were the final product. They are a bit reminiscent of my days at Taco Bell and these are a mix of the soft taco and flat bread shells. I always, always make a double batch to make them big enough for wrapped up sandwiches. A batch and a half yields about 5 or 6 decently sized tortillas. One of the things that I love best about this recipe is the amount of time needed. From beginning to end, I had these done, dinner cooked, and on the table in 30 minutes.  


Ingredients: 
2 cups all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup to 2/3 cup warm water


Directions: 

Place the flour and salt in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the olive oil, and blend.Gradually add the water to the flour mixture just until a stiff dough is formed. (The amount of water you need will vary.)
Transfer the dough to a floured surface, and knead until smooth. Cover the dough with a damp cloth. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Knead each piece for a few minutes, and form into balls. On a surface dusted with flour, flatten and roll out each ball into a 9-inch circle.
Heat an ungreased heavy-based pan, like a cast-iron skillet. Cook 1 tortilla at a time, about 30 seconds on each side. Place the cooked tortillas on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.

1 comment:

  1. This is great when you have a last minute hankering for burritos.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio